Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excel 2007 Node

New Contributor

Question Excel 2007 Node

What is the status of a node that works with Excel 2007?

The company I am working with produces thousands of files in Excel 2007 and it isn't feasible for me to manually convert XLSX files to CSV's.

Contributor

This is one of the reasons the Excel File node is still in experimental, unfortunately. The library that we use to implement the Excel node currently does not support Excel 2007; however, it is being developed, and there is an alpha version, so progress is being made. I can't make a commitment as to when it will be released, but know that when it does, we will incorporate those updates to our product in the next maintenance release.

Cheers
    Rich

Lavastorm Employee

It seems that there are some batch utilities available on the "world wide web" to convert from xlsx to xls, which may be useful here as a work around.

Perhaps obvious, but DISCLAIMER: the purchase or use of third party utilities is entirely at own risk, etc. etc.......

It is good to know the work on Excel 2007 is on-going. I'll look forward to this "xlsx" node being available!
    Last edited by henk01; 12-07-2009 at 12:58 PM.

I haven't used the current experimental excel reader node and really need an example showing how to use the node to read an example spreadsheet. Given you seem to have done quite a bit of work with this node, I wondering whether you might have an example (not to complex) to share. Then I could use this as a template for my current task and later tasks.

Thanks Brett

Contributor

Sure, post an example Excel file, and I will post the Excel node to read it.

Cheers
    Rich

Default Sample excel sheet

Hi Rich,
    I attached the spreadsheet I need to read.

Regards,

Brett
    Last edited by rboccuzzi; 06-14-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Contributor

Brett, I ran this against the Excel File node in Experimental that shipped with 4.1.6, and I didn't have to do anything to the node except point the filename parameter to the path where the xls file was.

Did you try the node? Did you have any issues? Did you check out the documentation? Not sure what you were having problems with, and why it wasn't reading for you. Can you post the errors you were getting? If you were trying to put something in the WorkbookSpec Param (it wasn't needed, the default worked), please post that as well.

Also I deleted your attachment. I'm not sure if the xls file you posted was obfuscated; it looked like it might not have been, but I assume it was. I was just being extra safe, since it was posted to the public forum, not MDA private.

Cheers
    Rich

Default How to decide data type when read an Excel worksheet

When the worksheet is read in, all columns are changed to unicode. It is possible to indicate the required type for each column? Say to read column 1 as integer, column 2 as double, column 3 as string, etc.

Contributor

No, currently all data comes in as string or unicode. This will likely remain in the foreseeable future as well; Excel can have different types mixed in columns...
    Inside the LAE, once the data is imported, you can inspect the data, and make a decision on a row-by-row basis. The Data Analyzer works very well to solve this, and I frequently put one right after the Excel node, and it does a pretty good job of figuring out what the columns should be. There is a bug in the currently released Data Analyzer however, that makes it treat Unicode poorly; this will be addressed in the 4.2 release.

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by henk01 View Post
    It seems that there are some batch utilities available on the "world wide web" to convert from xlsx to xls, which may be useful here as a work around.

Perhaps obvious, but DISCLAIMER: the purchase or use of third party utilities is entirely at own risk, etc. etc.......

It is good to know the work on Excel 2007 is on-going. I'll look forward to this "xlsx" node being available!

Guys, Any updates on a new node to import .xlsx files?

thanks, Daniel