Thread: Setting up ODBC for AS400

Contributor

Default Setting up ODBC for AS400

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experiencing setting up AS400 ODBC to work with the Enterprise LAE Server? We currently work with JDBC and looking at ODBC options.
    where did you get the drivers? how did you set it up?

Wayne
    Last edited by xathras; 02-01-2013 at 06:09 PM.

You would have to find ODBC drivers that would work in your version of Unix.

When I looked into this a couple of years ago, no ODBC drivers existed, but I believe there has been some development done in that area recently.

Contributor

I'd be interested to see how my previous colleagues at MDS achieved this.

Hi Wayne,

Have you had any luck with what I passed on?

You needs to install the iseries access tools for Linux and unixODBC, the iseries tools should be on IBM's site, unixODBC should be available as part of redhat (which I assume you're using)

You need to get the same version as LAE is using, if LAE is a 64bit install then you need the 64bit access tools as well

Cheers
    Mick
    Last edited by Michael.Slowey@lavastorm.; 02-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Contributor

Hi Mick,

I have the IBM I-Series Access for Linux Binary and the Unix ODBC Binaries. I don't have root permissions on the box, so have a change scheduled to get the installation done. Then I can start working on the config. Once I have that done I'll post how its done.

Wayne

Contributor

Hi All,

For anyone that needs to reference in future, here is my progress made on the AS400 ODBC Connectivity.

IBM I-Series Access for Linux and Unix ODBC Binaries are installed. I created a .odbc.ini file under the LAE user account and configured a data source. Under the LAE User it complained about nothing being able to find a file - yet there was a clear symlink to that file.

I therefore sudo to my personal user profile and created the .odbc.ini file in my home directory. I then issued the isql command and it fired up fine with the connection parameters, it was clearly connected to the AS400 as it listed libraries from QGPL.

I tried to access on an old LAE configuration, LAE 4.1.8 and found that it did work and appears to be an entry in our .profile.lavastorm file that i will need to take up with the support team - we worked this out by going through that file line by line and commenting out entries/adding back after testing. I will need to get a better understanding from the support team specifically what those entries are for.

After commenting them out, I loaded up a BRE Client, dropped an Data Query node and was able to query fine with no issues.

Wayne