Thread: Importing Excel and Access

Default Importing Excel and Access

Can someone tell me how I would be able to import Excel files and Access databases into a graph?

Contributor

Default Re:Importing Excel and Access

For Access, you could use the DB Query node, and choose the ODBC interface, and pull out of the database like any other. You could also save the tables in the database as delimited files, and pull them in using the Delimited File node. Either will work, it depends on your situation which is better for you. For Excel, you can save as delimited (CSV) and pull it in, similar to how you could do the Access data. Also, there is a python node that is under development to pull data out of the spreadsheet directly. If you are interested in that, I might be able to have someone post a pre-release version to play with.

Cheers,
    $Rich

I'd be interested in taking a look t different tabs or different areas on the same tab. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob

Contributor

John (our TAM there, jpelz@lavastorm.com) will be down next week, and he can talk with you about it.

Cheers,
    $Rich

Hi guys,
    are there any updates on this?
    I downloaded the BRE v.4.1.3.0, and I did not find any possibility (neither python nor Excel directly) to import spreadsheets directly.
    Thanks,
    Kai

Contributor

In the next release, 4.1.4, there will be a node in Experimental that reads Excel spreadsheets. It is currently going to be released in Experimental partially because it does not currently support Excel 2007, only up to 2003. To view Experimental nodes, you will have to enable that under Advanced options in Preferences. 4.1.4 is scheduled to be released very soon, this summer.

Rich

Hey Rich,
    thanks for the answer.
    Office 2003 would be good enough, so how can I get this Experimental node?
    I was just surprised that the node did not exsist yet as you already announced it in previous posts in late 2007 / early 2008.
    Cheers,
    Kai

Contributor

Kai, I am expecting 4.1.4 to be released sometime next week. I would contact whomever provided you with your current software, and you should be able to get an upgrade at that point. Once you have that, you will be able to follow the above steps to enable experimental nodes and use the Excel nodes.

Cheers
    Rich