Thread: Acquire AS400-data with LAE BRE (not server)

Contributor

Default Acquire AS400-data with LAE BRE (not server)

Dear all,

I am a simple data-analyst with no knowledge whatsoever on AS/400 or UNIX (other than knowing how to spell it ;-).
    I see myself confronted with a client running an AS/400 environment and a series of analyses to be performed on that data, using Lavastorm desktop. We don't have Lavastorm server running and don't have direct (ODBC) access to the client's environment.

What would, in your opinion, be the easiest way to get the data into Lavastorm desktop?
    - ask the client's (internal/external? don't know yet) IT guru to get me ASCII flat files?
    - try to somehow make the ODBC-connection?
    - another method?
    - what about the table layout (field names, types, lengths, etc.)? Can they be easily extracted?

Note: I've seen the post about the acquisition of AS/400-data using LAE Server. I 'only' have the Desktop-version of Lavastorm. Didn't understand half of the post, unfortunately...

Thank you sooooo much in advance for all your help!!!

All the best from The Netherlands,

Bart Roeleveld
    (Coney).

Bart,

How is the data stored on the AS/400? Is it already in flat files or is the data stored in a database? If the data is in flat files, then you will need to get the data moved to your desktop and read it into LAE using the input file nodes. If the data is in a database, then you will be able to connect to the database through LAE (either via a direct connection or through ODBC or JDBC) to query the data using the DbQuery node.

The easiest way will be to get the client to send you the data in csv or some other type of delimited file format. Then you can simply read the data into LAE from your desktop using the appropriate node.

As for your last question... If the data is stored in a database and if the database has a data dictionary that you have permissions to query, then you can query the data dictionary to get field names, types, lengths, and etc.

I know all of this might seem vague, but there are still lots of questions that will have to be answered and a decision of how you want to design your data extract.

Thanks,
    Larry

Contributor

Hi there,
    The post you referenced is a post I created. If you get stuck and have any questions please do not hestitate to contact me

Regards
    Wayne