Thread: Band by Quartiles

Lavastorm Employee
    Boston, MA

Default Band by Quartiles

In the 'Profiling and Patterns' library, we have 'Band by Deviation' and 'Band by Strata' nodes. Here I present a 'Band by Quartiles' option. This can be useful for various statistical calculations. I created it so I could look for outliers. One common way to do so is to calculate the quartiles, then the inter-quartile range (IQR), and look for points greater than Q3 + 1.5*IQR or less than Q1 - 1.5*IQR.

In this example, I am providing a crude way of finding the quartiles. I use the Quick Stats node to determine the number (call it N) of data points, then use a counter to determine the values at N/4, N/2, and 3*N/4. From the outputs, you can get the quartile values, as well as which quartile each data is in - either 1, 2, 3 or 4. There is an output for the data set with the outliers removed. And an output for just the (non-null) outliers.

The example data I used - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 - shows that 1 and 2 are in the first quartile, 3 and 4 in the second quartile, and so on. There are no outliers in this case. If we change the 8 to 80 (so 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 80), then the 80 is flagged as an outlier.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello @ryeh,

I've been playing around the Percent Rank node for a while now to determine the quartiles for my datasets. And haven't been successful as yet.

I came across your post and graph and tried to 'plagiarise' your graph as it's exactly what I want my graph to do. However, copying your composite node as a subroutine within my graph doesn't work as it greys out once pasted on my canvas. There are two things I have observed:
    1. When I opened your graph, it says it cannot find the "Lavastorm QVX Connector.brg" file
    2. When I opened your composite node, I don't have the Quick Stats node in my library.

Can I please request for your kind assistance in sharing a useable version of your composite node which I can copy and paste in my graph? Thank you in advance!

Lavastorm Employee

Hi Tris,

Regarding the "Lavastorm QVX Connector.brg" can ignore this. It looks like ryeh had this library associated to the graph when he saved it, but that his nodes don't actually make use of that library. If you want to be able to open the Band_by_Quantiles graph without seeing that message, to to Graph -> Edit Base Libraries, remove the entry for "Lavastorm QVX Connector", then save the graph and re-open it. You should no longer see the message.

Looks like you have two additional issues beyond that:
    1. You don't see the Quick Stats node
    2. The node from Ryeh's graph is disabled/greyed out when you paste it into your graph.

There could be a couple of reasons for this:
    1. What kind of license do you have? If you have a more bare-bones license then you might not have library sharing enabled. You can see license info by going to Help->Application License...what do you see when you look at the 'Library Sharing' and 'Library Creation' options?
    2. You don't have the LAL library loaded in BRE. When you go to Graph->Edit Base'll need to have an entry labelled 'lal1'

Also, what version of LAE are you running?

Thank you for your reply and inputs Luke!

I have the answers to your queries below:
    1. My Application License details as follows:
    -- LAE 6.1
    -- LAE Professional Plus Edition
    -- Both Library Sharing and Library Edition sections show "Enabled"
    2. On the Base Libraries, I can see "core", "inFlow" and "lal1" showing.

I have followed your instructions above and no longer experience the "Lavastorm QVX Connector" showing. Also, (aha!) I now see the "Quick Stats" node in the Profiling and Patterns library.

I think I can replicate what @ryeh has done (fingers crossed)... I will reach out again when I come across a hurdle.

Thanks heaps!!!

Meanwhile, wishing you the merriest and happiest Yuletide Season! Many thanks again Luke!

The node from Ryeh's graph is disabled/greyed out when you paste it into your graph.

Lavastorm Employee
    Warrington, UK

Here is a version of the original graph that contains a version of the 'Quartiles (by Field)' node as a normal composite rather than as a library node.