Thread: ascii code can't decode byte 0xc3

Default ascii code can't decode byte 0xc3

Has anyone come across this error? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by rbonneux View Post
    Has anyone come across this error? Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Where are you seeing the error?

Contributor

Default Pound sign

Hi,
    I think this 0x3c refers to British pound sign, which could not be read in in certain encoding/character set.

Depends where/what node you get this error at. If you could provide these details, and/or include sample then I can tell you more

Marek

Quote Originally Posted by stonysmith View Post
    Where are you seeing the error?
    I'm seeing the error when i try to open up the BRD view to look at some data that was compiled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributor

This is generally a case of when nodes that are producing or aquiring the data have not properly formatted or typed the data. This looks to be to be a unicode character or binary character that is in a string field. There have been some changes to both the BrdViewer and some nodes, such as the Excel node to make this less likely, but still possible.

Without seeing the graph and data, I can't specifically point to the cause, but it is likely that there is unicode data in the source file, and it is being read improperly. What version of the software are you running? If you want to post your data and graph, we can help there as well. You might be able to minimize the data and obfuscate a bit to make it acceptable for posting....

Cheers
    Rich

Hi, I am having a similar issue and hoping you can help. The initial graph is working fine, however I create 2 outputs one csv and one excel. The outputs are fine but when attempting to use the csv output as a source for a different graph I am having trouble.
    On my output file I have 4350 brecords, however when using this output file as the acquisition file it says it has 18261 records and I receve the following message when attempting to look at the data:
    I have attached the source files and my graph and hope that you can assist with this issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Contributor

James, I didn't see in your post what error you were getting. I think you didn't paste it if it was suppose to be text, or it didn't come through as an attachment. I looked at your attached graph, and I'm not sure how to correlate what you are saying with your example. In the graph, you have no output CSV nodes, just output Excel. You do have two input CSV files, however neither of these has the number of records you mentioned. Is it these input nodes that are not working? Or did you have output nodes that weren't working and you deleted them. I looked at the input files in the zip as well, and ran the input nodes, and it looks like it got all the correct number of records brought in, and I didn't get any errors.

Cheers
    Rich

Rich, the error is not with the graph but I beleive I have done something wrong with my publishing output file.
    I have coverted the Excel file to csv....this is fine when I look at it in the graph or when I retreive the published file.

However if I try and use this data as a CSV input I receive many more records than expected and the data is corrupt.

I have not had success using the "Output Delimited" published node as I cannot get the formatting correct.

I have atatched a diagram of what I am trying to explain and a screen shot of the "error".
    Attached Files Attached Files

Contributor

I see what is happening, the screen shot clarified it, thanks.

You are using an Output Excel node to write the output, but reading it in using a CSV File node; It's a different format, so it is complaining a lot, and it just happens that the Excel file has 18,000 lines in it.

You want to either use an Excel File node to read the output you are creating, or save the output using the Delimited Output node to create a CSV file.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this.

Cheers
    Rich