Thread: Oracle Exadata Connection

Lavastorm Employee

Default Oracle Exadata Connection

Am having issues connecting to Oracle Exadata via both DbQuery and JdbcQuery nodes.

It only has a service name, not SID.

Configuration DbQuery Node is pretty straightforward, JdbcQuery:

DbUrl: jdbcracle:thin:@10.10.10.10:1521/exadatadb
    DbDriver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

Error message: Unable to connect: IO Error: The network adaptor could not establish the connection

tnsnames.ora config used for DbQuery:

exadatadb =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.10.10.10)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = exadatadb)
    )
    )

error message for DbQuery is that object don't exist/can't connect

Have tried ping, successful, have tried telnet hostname port, successful

Any ideas? The oracle client is installed and works against standard oracle DBs
    Last edited by mlowe; 06-09-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Lavastorm Employee

I don't believe you need the address of the server in that URL. So the URL should actually be this:
    jdbcracle:thin:@exadatadb (** Edit: mlowe corrected me on this. mlowe actually provided the correct syntax that includes server and port. This defaults to localhost and port 1521 **)

Alternatively, you could try the version of the URL where you put the tns information directly in the URL? I believe it would be this:
    jdbcracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(H OST=10.10.10.10)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER = DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=exadatadb)))

Did you also say you tried the DB Query node? What did you enter for service name and interface? I believe that the service name should have exadatadb and the interface should be oci.
    Last edited by ejones; 06-13-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Lavastorm Employee

if i use "jdbcracle:thin:@exadatadb" how would it determine the server/port (is not on same server) and exadatadb is the service name.

When using the tnsnames.ora format after the @ symbol I get the same error as normal configuration for jdbc driver (i.e. IO error - the network adapter could not establish connection.

With respect to the DB Query node, the i used "exadatadb" as the service name, but got the error message: ORA-12545: Connection failed because target host or object does not exist (but I can ping and telnet to port 1251).

Lavastorm Employee

Thanks mlowe. You are correct. I was mistakenly thinking that without the server and port it would use a tnsnames file and you have the Oracle client installed. But the JDBC driver doesn't depend on or care if the Oracle client is installed. So you have the correct syntax and I'm going to edit my post.

I have struggled to get the Oracle JDBC driver to connect and have found that the version that uses the tns information works more reliably.

So it is unable to connect even though you can find it with tnsping. That's frustrating. Are you able to connect successfully with sqlplus?