Thread: Connecting nodes without having to click a mouse

Contributor

Default Connecting nodes without having to click a mouse

On the surface, seems trivial but I'm wondering if there is a way to connect two nodes without having to use a mouse to do it... like maybe a keyboard shortcut. Would cut down on some of the repetitive strain when working Lavastorm graphs on a daily basis. (I went to a vertical mouse to see if that would help! Still have to click but relieves some stress)

Lavastorm Employee

Hi,

by their very nature, Lavastorm graphs are graphical constructs and there is limited support for keyboard controls. Some connection functions are available (at least partially) using the keyboard, for example:

- If you have a node selected on the canvas then you can add a node to the canvas from the palette and the (first) input of the new node will be connected to the first unconnected output pin of the selected node.

- With a node selected on the canvas you can use the <Tab> key, <Shift>+<Tab> and the <Up Arrow>/ <Down Arrow> keys to navigate within the palette to select a node and then press <Enter> to attach the node to the currently selected node.

In addition there are some other functions that are keyboard accessible, e.g.

- <Alt> plus the initial letter of a main menu item displays the main for that menu item. e.g. <Alt>+I will display the Insert menu items, from which you can use the arrow keys to select a node to be added to the canvas and then press <Enter> to add the node.

- A selected node can be moved on the canvas using the arrow keys.

Unfortunately, you will probably still need to use the mouse for a number of key operations, including removing the selection from a node. You may want to explore whether some other assistive technologies could be used with your vertical mouse to allow you to reduce your use of the mouse controls - for instance using foot switches to replace the left- and right-click actions. An example of this type of foot switch is here (note this is just a result from an online search, I have not tested its use with the application):

http://www.fentek-ind.com/dual_foot_...m#.W83SmJXL2Uk

Regards,
    Adrian