Thread: LDAP SetUp

Contributor

Default LDAP SetUp

Hello, we have some new options from our IT group to use LDAP. I entered the URL they provided and I got this error. What is it telling me? Error: Authentication provider connection failed. Provider name: default-ldap-provider. Reason: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure; nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure [Root exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure]; remaining name '/'
    Thanks,
    Brad

Hi Brad,

Here's a link to the LAE Administration guide: http://installers.lavastorm.com/Docu...tion+Guide.pdf.
    Configuring LDAP is described on page 14... are those the steps you've been following? The error look like a parameter was input incorrectly.

Contributor

Hi, Yes I'm following those steps. We have only been give a URL string <protocol><server>:<port number> that does not include a rootDN. Do I need to ask for that? Also, I think I'm misunderstanding what I'm being asked to enter on the Lavastorm systems settings page. What does this mean "ou=someOrgUnit,dc=example,dc=com" ? Why is dc listed twice, once with example and then with com. The direction indicated dc is a user id, but why is it twice? Could you send me an example of what that would look like in a real example. Also, why would I be building a user ID into the system seeting for my LDAP. I thought the LDAP would build a way for individual users to log into Lavastorm and have their identify confirmed through the company LDAP.... Thanks

There are several parts to the LDAP configuration:
    1) the ldap server hostname <protocol><server>:<port number>
    2) the OU (organizational unit) to search for users ou=corp,dc=att,dc=com (or something like that) (longer version of corp.att.com)
    3) a username and password (temporary) to use for importing the users. (once imported, yes they use their own credentials)

There are several freeware LDAP browser programs that you can install on your PC.
    It is often best to grab one of those programs and poke around your LDAP system to explore how your configuration is setup.