Thread: Problem importing xls files.

Default Problem importing xls files.

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding a problem I faced when importing xls files in to lavastorm:

Is there a way to let BRE accept facts like duplicate columns, weird characters (such as (=) or (')). Right now when I try to import files containing the above characters, BRE cannot run them. I get messages as the attached.

I have to say that the files are not corrupted or something, as they can be normally run when imported from another computer (with the same BRE file).

I'm new to this and I would appreciate your help ASAP. I really cannot understand what is going on!

Thanks
    mgemeni
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lavastorm Employee

Hi,

Characters such as newlines, colons (':'), and single quotes ("'") are currently invalid characters to have in field-names in the LAE metadata.
    These are part of the BRD format, and having these characters in the field names will cause issues with the LAE being able to understand the metadata.

As such, these are not allowed in field names coming from the Excel File node.
    However, there is a parameter on the Excel File node "SubstituteInvalidCharacters" which can be found on Parameters 2, which can be used to work around this issue.
    If you set this parameter to true, then the following substitutions are made:
    ":" -> "-"
    "'" -> ""
    newline -> " "
    As for duplicate field names, the only way to handle them at the moment is to use the WorkbookSpec parameter, set the dataStartRow to be the row after these field names, and then setup the workbook spec to define the field names that you wish to use - while ensuring that the field names are all unique.

The problem with duplicate field names has been raised as an issue with the Excel File node (Issue # 3468) and specific handling for this will be added in LAE 4.5.5.

Tim.

Hi,

We have a situtaion like this one. While we try to acquire excel files those have special turkish characters like "Ş" or "İ" in either field names or in file path (C:\İnceleme\sample.xlsx) we are facing the same error. Is there a way to fix or handle this issue?

Thank you ,regards,

Özgün

error code for field name is below

Code:
    2014-09-30 11:29:56.807; ERROR: Input length = 1
    	id: 0 chain: 0 group: 0
    	javaDetail: com.lavastorm.brain.io.data.brd.BrdRecordOutput.writeMetadata(BrdRecordOutput.java@443)

2014-09-30 11:29:56.811; ERROR: Error occurred while attempting to open output (0) : "out1"
    	id: 6 chain: 0 group: 0
    	javaExceptionDetail: com.lavastorm.logging.LoggableException: 'Error occurred writing metadata for field (0), name: ALŞ, type: class com.lavastorm.lang.UnicodeString.
    '; cause: 'com.lavastorm.io.data.InvalidMetadataFieldNameException';
    	stack trace:
    		com.lavastorm.brain.io.data.brd.BrdRecordOutput.writeMetadata(BrdRecordOutput.java@447)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.io.data.brd.BrdRecordOutput.open(BrdRecordOutput.java@142)
    		com.lavastorm.io.data.WrappingRecordIo.open(WrappingRecordIo.java@59)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.node.office.excel.metadata.WorkbookMetadata.updateSheetMetadata(WorkbookMetadata.java@439)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.node.office.excel.metadata.WorkbookMetadata.mergeMetadata(WorkbookMetadata.java@368)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.node.office.excel.extract.ExcelReader.read(ExcelReader.java@80)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.node.office.excel.ExcelFile.processAll(ExcelFile.java@202)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.execution.java.node.NodeWrapper.nodeProcess(NodeWrapper.java@527)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.execution.java.node.NodeWrapper.run(NodeWrapper.java@769)
    		com.lavastorm.brain.execution.java.node.NodeWrapper.main(NodeWrapper.java@1466)
    	javaDetail: com.lavastorm.brain.node.office.excel.ExcelFile.processAll(ExcelFile.java@224)
    	dataDetail:
    		out1(out) row: 0
    			columns: ['ALŞ', 'com.lavastorm.lang.UnicodeString'], ['Amount', 'com.lavastorm.lang.UnicodeString']

2014-09-30 11:29:56.817; ERROR: Node failed.
    	id: 8 chain: 7 group: 0
    	javaDetail: com.lavastorm.brain.execution.java.node.NodeWrapper.run(NodeWrapper.java@799)
    error code for file path is below
    Code:
    2014-09-30 11:49:54.130; ERROR: Parameter File references the file: C:\Enerj?\sample.xlsx. However this file does not exist on the file system.
    	id: 4 chain: 0 group: 0
    	javaDetail: com.lavastorm.brain.node.office.excel.ExcelFile.processAll(ExcelFile.java@216)
    	dataDetail:
    		out1(out)

2014-09-30 11:49:54.135; ERROR: Node failed.
    	id: 6 chain: 5 group: 0
    	javaDetail: com.lavastorm.brain.execution.java.node.NodeWrapper.run(NodeWrapper.java@799)
    Last edited by Wizardous; 09-30-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Lavastorm Employee

Hi,

If you need Turkish characters to be available in LAE metadata, and need to be able to enter Turkish characters into parameters in nodes, then you will need to ensure that the server character set and the BRE code page are set to the corresponding character set/code page for the Turkish language (which I think is windows-1254 from memory).

If you are using a version of the LAE prior to LAE 5.0.0, you need to set this in the BRE Advanced Preferences and on the server itself.
    You should also set this in the BRD preferences to ensure that the data viewer interprets the metadata and string fields correctly.

As of LAE 5.0, when BRE connects to a server, it will use the code page corresponding to the character set configured on the server, and will also ensure that the BRD Viewer is configured with the same character set/code page on the server, therefore you only need to configure the character set in the server properties.

For more information on how to change these settings and the meaning of them, see this post: http://community.lavastorm.com/threa...ull=1#post5058

Regards,
    Tim.

Thank you for your support Tim. It works fine now.

Regards,

Özgün